Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Revised Cooking

So my husband was diagnosed with diabetes a couple of weeks ago. And now that we are trying to get past the fear and take care of it, I have to learn how to cook all over again. Not that I knew how to cook, but I definitely had a few PA Dutch recipes up my sleeve that were good to fall back on. Calorie counting, carbohydrate monitoring, sugar intake, blood checks, doctors, kids panicking ("Do we have to change the way we eat, I like the way we eat!"). Ha! Life style change for everyone. Who wants to cook separate meals? Not me. I have a hard time cooking one, let alone two.

I suppose this is a good thing, and will get us all to a healthier place, but this is one area that I blank out on when people talk about it. I love food, and want to enjoy it! It depresses me and my husband to have to worry about food intake. Nutrition panels are certainly not my forte and I never checked them before in my life. I did learn a very handy tidbit from the nutritionist though. Just because it says Fat Free or Sugar Free, doesn't necessarily mean it's better when it comes to carbs. It's all about the carbs! Check it out sometime. Compare regular chocolate ice cream to fat free chocolate ice cream. The carb count is lower on the regular! Woo Hoo...just don't eat the whole pint at one sitting. I'm actually starting to realize that just a few small changes can make a world of difference.

I found a great cookbook to help me in preparing meals. I pretty much made the same thing week after week, but this book helps me to add variety as well as gives me a weekly meal plan, with recipes and portion sizes for different calorie intakes. It's called The Ultimate Diabetes Meal Planner by Jaynie Higgins and David Groetzinger. It has made life much easier, at least for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment