Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Clear the Junk

12 years ago when I left my first husband, I never would have thought I would be at the place I am today. I'm having one of those "How did I get here moments". I went from living in a one bedroom apartment with my two kids, a job where I was surrounded by all men (which for those of you who know me, was not a very safe environment for me), barely being able to make ends meet because I was spending all my money on addictive substances, no friends I could confide in (at least that I knew of at the time), my family couldn't trust me, I was estranged from my brother, and most of all had no faith in God...what-so-ever!

So how did I get here and where is "here"? Well, I now have a modest 4 bedroom home. I am married to a giving and loving man and we share similar goals in life. I am actually able pay my bills each month, and on time with a couple of dollars to spare. I have so many friends, I can't even begin to count them all. Facebook says 127, but not all my friends are on Facebook, which blows me away! My family trusts me and I love them more every single day. My brother and I have the best relationship we have ever had in 30 plus years. And the best of all is that I have a relationship today with God that is beyond my wildest dreams.

They say you have to get out all the junk in your heart to fill it up with the good stuff. I'm here to say my heart is over flowing. Believe me, I had a lot of junk to clear. From being gang raped at the age of 6, to losing my father at 12, to again being sexually assaulted at 15 and 22, to overcoming an addiction at 28, and much..much more.

The junk is gone, and all that is left is love. Who would have thunk that?? Certainly not me. What I can offer those who read this is hope. If you are in a place of despair, keep pushing forward. I never would have thought 12 years ago that I would be working as a consultant, making my own hours and being able to spend more time with my family and friends. Keep your mind open, look for gratitude every day, trust in God that he has a master plan, and lastly don't take yourself so seriously. Humor is a tremendous healer. If you can't laugh at yourself, you have no business laughing at others.

1 comment:

  1. I know I sound like a broken record, but I believe you are truly an inspiration to everyone who knows you and everyone who is lucky enough to be reading your blog. You're awesome!!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete